Sunday

I am a little mainstream

I am not ashamed to say that I like many things that the vast majority are also loving. Some people take pride in having taste that they share with no one else, but I am apparently not one of those. Great things stay great regardless of how many people have heard about them. The Beatles are a good example. So is Harry Potter.


This bespectacled man is currently my favorite author, Instagrammer and Youtuber. What can I say. He writes amazing books (I know he is, although I've only read one by him). He reminds me vaguely of my favorite English teacher too. Both wear glasses, both are smart, both have a way of seeing something interesting and wonderful in everything. John Green - not to mention his equally bright brother Hank - seems to me like one of those people who has fought and lost many battles for his dreams. Yet he has somehow made it through and now he is experiencing all of his dreams at once. John Green is just like anyone else, with weaknesses and fears - except for the fact that he is everyone's idol.


Another thing that is surreally good: The Hunger Games trilogy. I remember devouring the books last year. They followed me everywhere I went, both physically and mentally. The films do not disappoint. I was haunted by The Hunger Games for days after I left the cinema. I fear that the air of Catching Fire might be hanging for weeks. There isn't a trivial moment in Suzanne Collins' writing. The books make you cry, laugh and bleed for its characters and the extreme situations they have to bear. I also applaud Gary Ross for not compromising the film adaptations. Everything in both movies are flawless. While I watch I get the feeling that everyone - actors, crew and the like - are giving their best to make the film as good as possible.


I still can't believe that Ella-Maria a.k.a. Lorde is actually younger than me. Notwithstanding, there are a thousand things worth mentioning about her, other than her age. Lorde stands out with her lyrics (which she writes herself), her ability to stay grounded in a lofty music industry and her immense talent. She is gorgeous. Everyone knows Tennis Court and Royals, but her other songs are also definitely worth a listen. My favorite is this remix of Bravado. Recently I discovered that she has her own tumblr too, filled with neat pictures which she describes "make her eyes happy".

No comments:

Post a Comment