Wednesday

money is no object



Around three months ago, I made a weekly reminder on my phone in the hope that I would be reminded to save my money. I was finished with whittling hundreds of DKK away on coffee, materialistic things like clothes and other things that I didn't need. This Monday, I've managed to spend almost 200 DKK in one day and today I will be going to the movies. My plan isn't working out so well.

I think I've started to be careless with my money ever since I started having more of it. It's a strange thing, but when I feel poor I end up rich. When I feel rich I end up poor. I don't really understand it. It doesn't feel like I have any control over the whole thing, even though I am the only person who is spending my own money. It comes down to this: I don't worry about my money if I know I have it. On the other hand, when I feel poor I skimp and save. A change in my attitude changes my finance in a matter of weeks.

Another reason for my carelessness with money is, I think, the fact that money can be stored in a card. That just makes money too abstract for me. I don't feel like I'm spending money while I swipe it – of course I know I'm spending, but giving away tangible notes and coins just has more gravity to it. Perhaps using 'real' money more will help my money habits.

Both these things have come about as I grow older. Like many things, money is something I've become more irresponsible with as responsibility becomes more important. I used to be so good at saving money when I was younger. I've become worse at it now, even though it's really important to save. My one consolation is that I'm not the most reckless person I know – I have so many friends that have spent all their money in the middle of the month on clothes. Compared to them I am cheap. And I hate feeling cheap. But I also hate feeling poor. I think I am in a constant battle between choosing between feeling cheap and poor. Throw in the general annoyance that money has to occupy my mind so much. After all, there are – there must be – more important things in life than money.

No comments:

Post a Comment